TSBBE BOARD MEETING AGENDA
June 7, 2004 at 1:00 pm
(Meeting Location: 5717 Balcones Drive, Austin, Texas 78731)
The Board may deliberate and take action regarding any item on the agenda.
The Board may go into Executive Session for consultation with the Boardís
attorney under Chapter 551.071 of the Texas Government Code, and/or for
deliberation of personnel matters under 551.074 of the Texas Government Code.
1. Pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Government Code (Open Meetings), call to
order and roll call by William H. Kuykendall, J.D., Chairman, Texas State
Board of Barber Examiners or presiding officer.
2. Review and approval of minutes for May 3, 2004 board meetings.
3. Recognize individuals for their service to the barber profession and the
community, or to the Board.
4. Public Comment
5. Consideration of and possibly take action on Final Orders (from SOAH) and
Agreed Orders (from Executive Director).
6. Consideration of and possibly take action on Executive Directorís Report
(general update on agency operations):
A. Update on proposed Rule changes considered at May 3, 2004 meeting
regarding Texas Online fees and collection of school inspection fee.
B. Agency implementation of audit recommendations.
C. Agency meetings with Cosmetology staff re: sharing resources.
D. Tuition Protection Account Request
E. Status of New Teacherís Exam in English
F. Status of New Teacherís Exam in Spanish
G. Status of request for Attorney Generalís Opinion regarding health
certificate requirement and requirement to use Texas Online.
H. Update on Texas Online projects.
I. Update on statutory cite requirements for expired license and expired
I. Other items to be identified as necessary.
7. Consideration of and possibly take action on agency reports:
A. Financial Operations Report (YTD May 31, 2004)
B. Report on Fines and Receivables
C. Second Quarter Performance Report
D. Agency report on Schools and Enrollments (YTD May 31, 2004)
E. Agency report on Examinations (YTD May 31, 2004)
F. Risk Assessment Report (not risk-based inspections policy)
8. Report by Board member James Dickerson on his day spent with Houston area
9. Consideration of and possibly take action on Sunset Advisory Commission
10. Consideration of and possibly take action on Strategic Plan
11. Consideration of and possibly take action on updates to agency inspection
policy for schools, shops, and licensees.
12. Consideration of and possibly take action on changes to Board Rules to be
proposed concerning eliminating required warnings for some categories of
violations and replacing the 1st offence in those categories with fines. See
13. Consideration of and possibly take action on rule to be proposed to
require regular, documented sanitation procedures for equipment and baths
used for pedicures and/or manicures.
14. Consideration of and possibly take action on continued regulation of
manicurists by TSBBE. Board will consider pros and cons of transferring
regulation of manicurists and specialty shops licensed by the Board to the
Texas Cosmetology Commission.
15. Consideration of and possibly take action on Board legislative Ďwish listí
for 79th Legislature. List was adopted in January, 2004 board meeting. Board
will review its legislative wish list and consider the addition or deletion
of items. Significant items currently included are: (1) request to delete TOC
1601.264 and 1601.402 requirements for health certificate to obtain or renew
a barber license; (2) delete TOC 1601.301 requirement that barber must have
practiced at least 12 months before obtaining a shop permit; (3) change TOC
1601.257 minimum age for manicurist license from 16 years of age to 17 years
of age; (4) change TOC 1601.560 to allow 25:1 student/teacher ratio in barber
schools rather than current 20:1; and other items. Complete list can be
requested by contacting Glenn Parker, Executive Director, TSBBE at
512-936-6333 or email@example.com
16. Consideration of and possibly take action on proposal to change Rule 51.1
Regular Meetings and Examinations to eliminate the requirement that board
meetings be held on days and months currently specified.
17. Consideration of and possibly take action on board organizational issues,
including but not limited to:
A. Identification of Board meeting dates for remainder of 2004.
B. Consideration of status of and appointments to board committees.
C. Consideration of process for Board self-evaluation.
D. Consideration of process for six-month evaluation of Executive Director
(six month period is up on July 18, 2004.)