BOARD MEETING AGENDA
December 1, 2003 (1:30pm)
The Board may deliberate and take action regarding any item on the agenda.
1. Pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Government Code (Open Meetings), call to
order and roll call by William H. Kuykendall, J.D., Chairman, Texas State
Board of Barber Examiners (TSBBE).
2. Approve Board Minutes of September 8, 2003.
3. Recognize the following individuals for their service to the barber
profession and community:
Verlie Sherrill (65+ years)
George C. Walker (60+ years)
Billy F. Watkins (49 years; deceased)
John C. White (56+ years)
Charles E. Williams, Sr. (46+ years)
4. Public Comment.
W.D.Wagner's e-mail regarding the following agenda items from the September
8, 2003, Board meeting:
11. Consider outsourcing the collection of fines and penalties.
15. Consider for possible approval for publication and public comment
proposed amendments to rule §51.77 Barber Shop Permit and rule §51.85
Reciprocal/Endorsement Licensing of Barbers to require the purchase of law
and rule books.
5. Proposals for Decision from the State Office of Administrative Hearings
(July 9, August 5, September 22, 2003).
6. Ratification of the Agreed Order in the Matter of Assessment of an
Administrative Penalty Against a Certain Licensee in a Case Brought for an
Informal Hearing before the Executive Director (September 22, 2003).
7. Adoption of proposed amendments to rule §51.85 Reciprocal/Endorsement
Licensing of Barbers. The proposed amendments provide that an applicant for a
license by reciprocity shall submit a licensing fee of $80 rather than $70
and a fee for his or her own copy of the current hand book published by the
Board containing the law and regulations governing the practice of barbering.
The proposed amendments delete the archaic amount ($70) for a renewal fee
such that an individual will pay the current renewal fee.
8. Actions taken by the Executive Director as directed by the Board during
the discussion of the following agenda item at the September 8, 2003, Board
Pursuant to rule 51.5 Good Standing Required for License Renewal, consider
the denial of a barber school permit renewal to Larry's Barber and Hair
Styling (Dallas) for failure to pay in full administrative penalties assessed
against the licensee.
9. Administrative fine report for 09/01/03 - 11/30/03.
10. Financial report (09/01/03 - 10/31/03).
11. Chairman's briefing on Peter Townsend vs. State Board of Barber
Examiners, Cause No. 20615-C, 278th District Court of Walker County, Texas.
12 Anticipated TexasOnline subscription fees for additional licenses and
permits that will be subject to TexasOnline as required by SB1152 - Shapleigh
(78th Texas Legislature) and anticipated timelines for the imposition of such
fees and other administrative changes to comply with TexasOnline.
13. Board's risk-based inspection policy and other enforcement efforts to
accommodate the finding and recommendation by the State Auditor's Office
(SAO) and management's response.
14. Board's enforcement efforts, including proposing changes to rule §51.3
Administrative Fines, to accommodate (1) the Sunset Commission's
Across-the-Board Recommendation #6 (Full Range of Penalties) for Licensing
Agencies and (2) the findings and recommendation by the SAO and management's
15. Composing a Board written policy to accommodate the Sunset Commission's
Across-the-Board Recommendation #8 (Separation of Agency Board and Staff
Functions) for All State Agencies:
16. Composing a Board written policy to accommodate the Sunset Commission's
Across-the-Board Recommendation #11 (Alternative rulemaking and dispute
resolution) for All State Agencies.
17. If needed and pursuant to §551.071 and §551.074 of the Texas Government
Code, the Board may enter into Executive Session.